Post new topic   Reply to topic    Circle of Legends Forum Index -> General chit chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TseuqCoL
Officer

re: Reflections

Something I wrote a while back but it still affects me today when I read it

Reflections

A light breeze shimmered across the water, inspiring reluctant ripples as it blew across the dimly
lit surface towards the lone Enchanter sitting by the water. As the breeze flowed around and
beyond Tseuq, the trees more distant from the shoreline began to rustle rhythmically as the
gentle breeze caressed the branches and made its way to the castle beyond.

The elementals that inhabited the area paid little attention to Tseuq but went about their own
existence. In that moment, Tseuq felt a small bit of pity for them. Elementals. As forces of
nature, they are steadfast in their duties but unable to enjoy the simple pleasures of the
environment around them. An existence void of pleasures but an existence void of sorrows too.

Majestic mountains could just be seen in the distance; the perpetual twilight giving the purplish
peaks a foreboding presence. The jagged peaks, which marked the entrance to the beautiful but
dangerous Scarlet Desert loomed over the water much as the past few days loomed over Tseuq.
Still he sat and pondered the rippled reflection of Norrath as it hung low in the twilight sky.
For many years, he had watched the moon move hazily through the sky. Luclin as it was called,
named after the god who created it, had long been a source of wonder and inspiration to him.
“Watching Norrath move through the night sky is just as wondrous”, he said softy to himself as
another breeze flowed smoothly around his form, his blue-green robes rippling softly as it flowed
past.

He began to think once again about the events of the past few days, which inspired him to take
refuge. He called upon the guidance of Karana and prayed that the dimly lit Twilight Sea would
help him to see clearly. With a sigh, he realized that the past few days were only the trigger to
feelings that had been building for quite some time. He rose and removed his robe, allowed it to
fall silently to the ground and waded into the cool water.

He waded knee deep into the Norrath lit water and stopped momentarily to gaze down at his own
reflection, surprisingly clear in the dim light. He looked at his face quite closely. Lines of age
were starting to show on his Elfish face. His blue eyes were sharp, glowing, and hinted at an
underlying intelligence. Behind the intelligence however was also a hint of sadness. A
Loneliness. Suggestions that the perceptions through those eyes weren’t quite right. This was
the real reason for the refuge and the real reason for gazing at the reflections of himself and his
life upon the water.

A ripple shattered the fragile image and his thoughts began to drift like the leaves of an oak tree
upon the water. He glanced skyward, to the majesty of Norrath, and wondered to himself,
“Where are they now?”

He thought of all the people he had come to know and love and how everyone had changed over
the years. As he thought of all the wonderful people he had come to know, he began to reflect
upon the people he had once known.

Faces always change. Time, yet another force of nature, acts much like the ripples in the water
on reflections of faces. Time. A constant source of entropy and a constant reminder that things
will never stay the same – for better or worse.

He thought more about the people of his past and wondered again where they were and what
they might be doing. He wondered if those friends who had simply gone away had also sat down
in a secluded place to study their reflections before making the decision to fade into the ripples.
He wondered if he was starting on that same path as so many people he knew had taken.

He began to think of names and faces and his image in the water was once again rippled into
nonexistence. Rippled not this time not by a breeze, but by Tseuq’s own tears. As he let his water
mix futilely with the sea, he felt a catharsis as the years of built up emotion finally spent itself. He
looked up towards Norrath once again and as the breeze picked up in sympathy to his sorrow,
that moment of clarity he had prayed for finally became a reality. Like Karana’s storms cleansing
the land, the tears began to etch away at the sorrow and loneliness and replace them with hope. .

After a time, the image in the water once again shimmered back into existence. The features had
not changed but where there was sadness and loneliness in the clear blue eyes before, there
now returned a sense of wonder and a realization:

Friends come and go. You do what you do in life because of those friends. You strive to help the
friends still with you and try your best to live up to the memories of friends past so that their
reflections can be seen in your actions. This is how life is to be lived! The simple truth of it now
so obvious to him that he began to laugh even as the tears still fell!

He turned back to the shore, found his robe and sat again on the beach to stare at the vision of
Norrath in the rippling water. He noticed only at that moment how beautiful things could be when
viewed through the ripples of time. He sat and thought again, with a smile this time, of some of
the people in his past:

Roxianna My first true friend in Norrath. I haven’t seen you in 48 levels but I think about you
every day.

Jantis Your presence and vitality affected me in ways you will never know. It was an
honor to call you a friend.

Fixy and
Darch Some of my best memories are of MMS and still shine through. You will be
remembered.

Miena My heart broke the day you said goodbye. You still own a piece of it.

Crackle Running around in circles from big bad mobs isn’t nearly as fun without you.

Magnoth You nutso wizard. Where did you go?

Raincrow Whatever will we do without you? I truly hope that you decide to come back.

Zhalara I still have such fond memories of our time together at Lake Rathe. You too own
a piece of my heart.

Dedicated to everyone, everywhere who has misplaced old friends.

Tseuq Medalot
2/26/2002
Ruarik
Officer

re: Nice

Thank you for sharing, that's great writing!
Xmal Ulka

Wow that was very well written and yes I miss friends that are no longer in game anymore. Trav my "ingame dad" and close friend in real life I lost years ago and every time I go to some of the old zones it's like his presence is still there. Thinking back on the good times, silly group shenanigans and just the friendship from those days makes me smile.

When I first came back to the game in 2013 after a long break one of the first people I meet was Catness - she was playing Susan mainly back then in another guild. We had a lot of silly moments and always made things from real life seem so silly and unimportant. She was a great friend ingame.

Then I joined another guild that folded and most of us came to COL from that former guild. The many people some still here, some moved on and some gone always bring many good memories to mind.

Thanks Teueq for sharing Happy
TseuqCoL
Officer

re: TY TY

Thanks Xmal.

There's a bit of a story behind that one so I am very glad you liked it.

I have a few more I've shown peeps. Maybe I'll post them here too.
slatil

finally got around to reading this and it is wonderful , makes me want to see the whole epic story of the adventures of tseuq
TseuqCoL
Officer

re: TY TY

slatil wrote:
finally got around to reading this and it is wonderful , makes me want to see the whole epic story of the adventures of tseuq

Thanks man. I have a few more. Maybe I'll post them if I get up the courage.
Hhrolf
Esteemed LEGEND

Wow that was touching Tseuq
Very nice mate

Hh

Thanks my friend.

Good to see you still lurking about. I know you're retired but you should hop into the game or Discord and say hello. I know we'd love to hear from you.

Hhrolf wrote:
Wow that was touching Tseuq
Very nice mate

Hh
Patchin

How had I missed this until now?

Incredible writing Tseuq. Sincerely.

As all great writing does, it put me there, with you. It made me relate, and reflect on the friendships in game.

Thank you for sharing. I would love to read more.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Circle of Legends Forum Index -> General chit chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Who's Online
None