Post new topic   Reply to topic    Circle of Legends Forum Index -> From the archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hhrolf
Esteemed LEGEND

re: Legendary Raids 2 - Vishimtar the Fallen ( DoN)

Forum Image

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=17716

Dragon's of Norrath seems so long ago now. Vishimtar the Fallen was a complex raid that had a lot of different mechanics to master. It could also go horribly wrong very quickly as adds spawned from every death and if not locked down immediately could multiply rapidly as more and more people died and a single death could end up wiping the raid.

The write up on Allakhazam is very good so read that first.
The loot from the chest is here : http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=23792

One thing I do remember was that I was usually in the MT group spamming a cure on the tank as it took two casts of Pure Spirit to cure the dot and the cast/refresh time meant it had to be hit straight away.

Two memories do stand out for me when I think of Vish.

The first time I saw the Skull of Vishimtar linked I thought 'wow I want that shield'.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=35000
At the time many people rated it as the best shield in the game and it certainly ticked all my boxes. Great ac and stats, a good clicky, a magic focus for my dots and last but not least an awesome and unique graphic ( oh come on admit it, that is always nice! )
I was lucky enough to win our first one that dropped and I wore it with pride for a long time and it was several expansions later before I replaced it.

The celebrations that followed our first kill were epic:
All first kills are cause for celebration but a first kill that isn't challenging will not live in your mind for long. One that is a real challenge and has eluded you for a while will be remembered for much longer.
Vish was complex and took us a while to learn all the mechanics. Attempts 10 and 11 saw us get to the last of the mechanics and get it below 20%. But then lady luck etc took a hand and we found it hard to get over that finish line. Attempts 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17 were all wipes. It felt like we were never going to win it.
We started the night with another wipe - attempt 18 saw us only get it down to about 70% before someone died and the adds wiped the raid.
More requests for everyone to bring their A game and FOCUS.
Attempt 19 - BAM - FIRST KILL
The guild went wild. The screen filled with WOOTS and scrolled past quickly as everyone celebrated the win. We were absolutely BUZZING.
Even whilst we were calling the loot there were still WOOTS going on in guildchat.
And then one of our real-life couples announced that they were so excited by the win that they were going to log and have some quality time together ( yes you know what I mean ). This led to more Woots in guildchat and lots of ribald comments. To great laughter the O's announced that we were calling raids early and everyone could go celebrate however they wanted, they had earned it.
An awesome win.[/img]

Last edited by Hhrolf on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Georgeo

still have "vishi weapon" set up on my bando for old times sake hehe, and i definitely remember when we took him out the first time, i think i died like 8 times before vishi did

Vish was one of my favorite raids...so much going on at once and we implemented new heal strats that didn't fully rely on the CH chain. I think we had at least 3 hot keys completely filled with directions for just the clerics. Lots of fun memories !

Edit -- I found my old cleric notes for this event !
MT group = 2 clerics, 1 druid
Chanter group = 1 cleric, 2 knights

CH Chain = 4 healers, pause 15 (I think we always had at least 1 druid in this chain iirc).

Non-chain clerics = group healers, DI casters (3 minute refresh timer back in the day!).

MGB CR's starting at 25%, RC6 cure chain within groups (at least 2 priests per group).

No rezzing after 25%.

BIND OUTSIDE ()

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Circle of Legends Forum Index -> From the archives All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Who's Online
None