Post new topic   Reply to topic    Circle of Legends Forum Index -> From the archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hhrolf
Esteemed LEGEND

re: Memorable raids -1 Jelvan ( Asylum of Anguish, OOW )

Raid mob : Jelvan
Zone : Asylum of Anguish
Expansion : Omens of War

Event overview :
Once the raid is triggered three mobs spawn ( Tanthi the Tormentor, Tanthu the Tormentor and Tantho the Tormentor ); in the W, E and S areas of the pit and each team would huddle in their relevant cell.
For our first few attempts at this it used to take the raid leader up to an hour sorting out the groups, balancing the dps for each mob.

Strat:
The following strat is posted on Allahkazam and was actually our initial strat for this event:
AOE of tormentor is hate list so we fight the 3 tormentors in 3 different cells (shown on all map normally, to be simple far away from each other...). Do not MIX GROUP between cell -> hate list if you heal/buff anyone in another cell you will get the aoe of the other cell. Else keep each tormentor life between 5% of each other .... try not to wipe (one aoe drain mana another stun a lot .... and be prepared to wipe a lot before getting the correct mix of class/resist for each cell which depends mostly of the composition of your guild. In case it was not obvious that is IMO the most difficult mb before omm (vishimtar included) before dod. We use invulnerable pal/sk to pull to the correct cell and be rampage tank (we have many knights) and our PAL use the DA proc hammer when they RT to save healer mana (drop in grieg if I remember correctly).

Loot dropped :
Jelvan's Keepsake spawns with loot which consists of two Ancient Muramite Runes, a Seal: Mastery of All (backflag), one armor-piece item (from first list), and two items (from second list):

Lenarsk's Embossed Leather Pouch
Makyah's Axe
Muramite Cruelty Medal
Patorav's Walking Stick
Riftseeker Heart

Aneuk Dagger of Eye Gouging
Bazu Claw Hammer
Cloak of Wailing Woes
Earring of Dark Conflict
Girdle of the Fleet
Globe of Discordant Energy
Globe of Voltage
Greatsword of Mortification
Journal of Jelvan the Eldest
Mask of Lament
Plaguebreeze

My memories of the event :
When we first started doing this I was usually in the MT group for the mana drain mob, and had to spam cure as it took 2 casts of the group cure Blood of Nadox to remove the ae and I was initially one of the only people to have that spell. ( Wasn't long until every healer had farmed their classes version of that spell.)
Each team had someone nominated to call out their mobs % and the RL would ask teams to slow down or speed up as the %'s moved apart.
After we had been in Anguish a while and geared up it became easier to do this fight ( faster dps, tougher tanks and better mana pools for the healers all contributed to that ) and I moved to being a RT healer for one of the cells when we experienced a shortage of healers one week as I had the biggest mana pool of the shamans back then and had taken lots of healing aa's. We won and I stayed in that role as it then freed up a healer for elsewhere.
As the tanks got tougher I then also had time to start casting leopard on my group and would be put with a dps group to help out if we had to burn to catch up.
Eventually we moved to a strat of burning down one mob very quickly whilst keeping just one group engaging the other two mobs.
This was a fun event that I always looked forward to and was definitely memorable.
So over to you : what are your memories of doing this raid?
Denya

The headache of setting up the groups!

And, as with all the raids back then, the thrill of beating it the first time Happy

-Denya
Danville

I was in a guild that did not plan for rampage tanking when, at the time, we were under-geared for Anguish and, particularly, the Jelvan event. It took me about 4 weeks of explaining how rampage works (even today, some folks don't know - or think they do, but they don't*) before finally getting a chance to lead in three pallies to set rampage on these jokers. Easy win after about 20 losses over a month.

*The first player on aggro for a mob IS the rampage target, until they die or remove themselves from the mob's hate list entirely (i.e. zoning/evaccing or completely successful FD - fade can work, but some fades are not guaranteed - like pallies [5% built-in fail rate]). AND, since the advent of corpse-hovering, that player remains the rampage target even after death and resurrection (if they stayed in hover mode until accepting the resurrection).

I will admit, being a pally that has ramp-tanked seemingly a billion mobs with the Divine Hammer of Consternation, it is a boring job - but in some cases it's a real game-changer. Another instance of where this was particularly effective was on Brekt - rampage tank with DA, then after he popped his silence aura, click off DA and Splash the raid to eliminate the silence for those that didn't run away.

That reminds me of the time I messed up and healed the RT for my cell too soon and ended up 2nd on the hatelist. When the RT went down I very quickly followed /blush.

I also remember the celebrations amongst the rangers when Plaguebreeze dropped for the first time. They were slightly happy wink
Denya

Help me out here Hh....there was a raid I remember that still gives me goosebumps when i think about it, but I can't recall which one it was. (yeah, my memory really sucks)

I think it was one of the MPG trials, the raid version...we had been working on trying to beat it for weeks on end with no luck. On this particular night, the stars aligned and as the health of the boss mob ticked down closer and closer to zero, word started getting out and I was bombarded with tells from non-CoL friends and past CoL members urging us on and already celebrating the not-yet-decided win. As the last few percents ticked off until the mob lay dead at my feet, I had the distinct, eerie feeling of all the great past Legends (i.e. Falthorn et al) looking over my shoulder in approval. Almost like they were all there with us, helping us win in their own way.

Weird....creepy....a figment of my imagination. Call it what you will, it was a moment in my CoL career that I will never forget.

-Lady D
Hhrolf
Esteemed LEGEND

I remember you talking about that feeling, we were all so emotional as it was the last mpg raid to unlock anguish. Cannot remember right this second which one was last though. :-)
Hhrolf
Esteemed LEGEND

Seem to recall that it was Hate that we needed last. That was the one with the platforms and feran direpups etc iirc.

The next to last one was the one that we really struggled with, it was the one with emotes that people had to react to and the more people that died the more emotes each person left alive had to react to. Too many people were a hindrance rather than a help and in the end we waited for a very high turnout night and cherry picked who was in the raid.
Winning that final trial was so important at the time, being one of the first anguish level guilds on the server brought in so many recruits. The competition between the top guilds was fierce and it really did feel like every raider on the server was aware of our win as it happened.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Circle of Legends Forum Index -> From the archives All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Who's Online
None